I’ve read that one thing a leader cannot delegate is the establishment or articulation of a vision. As it says, “where there is no vision, the people perish.” One of the first things our governing body accomplished in 2018 was the creation of a new city vision and mission statement, as well as the drafting of a four year strategic plan, based on resident input. After working tirelessly alongside our great city council and employees these last four years, accomplishing that strategic plan, we convened on January 22 to identify a new plan.
I’m happy to report that alongside our vision and mission statements, we have selected guiding values and a new four-year plan with four strategic themes. This new plan has been largely guided by you, our residents. Thank you for your overwhelming participation in our resident survey from December, where we received almost 3,000 responses! That’s almost 10% of the adult population that weighed in on the future of their community, an unprecedented response that demonstrates how engaged our community members truly have become.
The following organizational values have been established to guide Riverton City elected officials and employees as they conduct the business of the city government and interact with the public.
- Integrity – We are honest in our endeavors and ethical in our actions.
- Innovation – We strive to always find the best solution.
- Stewardship – We take pride in what we do and in our care of public resources.
- Collaboration – We find ways to work together both internally and externally.
- Service – We serve the community.
The following strategic themes have been selected:
- Sense of Community
- Objective 1.1: Maintain a strong sense of community.
- Objective 1.2: Maintain a visible public safety and increase citizen engagement.
- Objective 1.3: Actively engage and inform residents.
- Connectivity & Infrastructure
- Objective 2.1: Expand, improve and maintain an active transportation system.
- Objective 2.2: Properly maintain and develop city infrastructure and facilities.
- Objective 2.3: Enhance the digital infrastructure of the city.
- Economic Development
- Objective 3.1: Execute a proactive economic development strategy.
- Objective 3.2: Attract and recruit businesses to the community.
- Objective 3.3: Enhance the Riverton Town Center area.
- Objective 4.1: Improve and expand the city’s water resources and systems.
- Objective 4.2: Become fiscally sustainable and increasingly self-reliant.
- Objective 4.3: Properly plan for the future to ensure the long-term stewardship of city property.
Each of these strategically crafted themes and objectives includes well-defined projects and measurable outcomes that Riverton City staff will work diligently to accomplish over the next four years. With your help, I expect our great city to realize its fullest potential and thrive in the face of any challenges that may arise.