Building Codes in Use in Riverton City
Effective July 1, 2021
1. 2018 International Building Code, including Appendix J
2. 2015 International Residential Code, including Appendix E & Q
3. 2018 International Plumbing Code
4. 2018 International Mechanical Code
5. 2018 International Fuel Gas Code
6. 2020 National Electrical Code
7. Residential provisions of the 2015 International Energy Conservation Code
8. Commercial provisions of the 2018 International Energy Conservation Code
9. 2018 International Existing Building Code (subject to HUD & IRC Appendix E)
10. ICC / ANSI A117.1-2009
11. Applicable Utah State Amendments (See “Laws and Rules” on the DOPL website at dopl.utah.gov/ubc.)
Design Criteria for Riverton City
Effective July 1, 2019
1. Ground Snow Loads: Refer to USU snow load website at utahsnowload.usu.edu.
2. Seismic Zone: D
3. Wind Load: 105 mph, Exposure C
4. Frost Depth: 30 inches minimum from bottom of footing to finished grade.
Building Code Update
On April 2, 2019, the Riverton City Council updated language to the Riverton City Code, clarifying current adopted versions of the International Building Codes. The amended language is as follows:
15.10.010 Adoption of International Building Code.
(1) The most recent version of the International Building Code(s) adopted by the state of Utah, including building, residential, plumbing, electrical, mechanical, administrative, energy, conservation, fuel, gas, and existing buildings code, and any adopted appendices are hereby adopted as the building code of the city. Adoption of updated versions by the state of Utah after the date of this chapter will have the effect of updating Riverton City’s building code(s).
(2) Pursuant to Section 10-3-711, Utah Code Annotated 1953, upon passage of the ordinance codified in this section, a copy of the current building code shall be placed on file at the city for the use and examination of the public during regular business hours
15.10.020 Conformance with other ordinances.
Any construction, alteration or improvement of any building or structure within the city shall also comply with other relevant city ordinances and regulations, including, but not limited to, subdivision, zoning, and standards and specifications provisions. The provisions of this title are intended to be interpreted and administered in conformance with such other ordinances, rules and regulations, and whenever a conflict exists between any of these provisions, the more restrictive standard or provision shall prevail.