Traffic ViolationsSpeeding
  • 0-10 MPH, $130
  • 11-15 MPH, $160
  • 16-20 MPH, $210
  • 21-25 MPH, $280 (mandatory - must appear)
  • 26-30 MPH, $380 (mandatory -must appear)
  • 31 MPH & Over, $480 plus $10 for every mile over (mandatory-must appear)
Speeding in a School Zone
(mandatory - must appear in each case)
  • 0-09 MPH, $ 140 - 1st offense
  • 10-19 MPH, $240 - 1st offense
  • 20 MPH & Over, $440 - 1ST offence Class C misdemeanor
Miscellaneous Violations
  • No valid license in possession, $50 - Dismiss with valid license on date of offense
  • Accident, $30
  • Driving on suspension or revoked license, $310
  • No insurance, $410
  • No proof of insurance, $410
  • Expired vehicle registration, $50
  • Stop Sign, $130
  • Red Light, $130
  • Improper Turn, $130
  • Seatbelt Violation, $45
If you have been charged with committing a traffic violation in Riverton City, the following information may help you through the criminal justice system. The court follows all applicable rules, statutes, and codes governing trial procedures. The following is a guide to assist traffic violators. For legal advice concerning your case, you must consult with an attorney. Neither the Court nor the clerks may provide legal advice to you.

When a citation is issued, the charges will require a mandatory court appearance or a non-mandatory court appearance. If you are cited for a non-mandatory court appearance, you may pay the bail amount and not appear for court. You must pay the amount within 14 days of the citation or an additional charge may be applied and a warrant for your arrest will be issued. You can pay by sending a check or money order by mail or come into the office during regular business hours and pay by cash, check or money order. We accept all major credit cards in person and over the phone. If you were issued a citation that does not require a mandatory appearance, but you wish to dispute the citation, you must contact the office to set up an appointment for an arraignment.

If you were issued a citation that requires a mandatory court appearance, you must contact the court to set an appointment for an arraignment. Arraignments are held on Mondays and Tuesday at 8:30 a.m. You must contact the Court within 14 days of the citation or an additional charge may be applied and a warrant issued for your arrest.

The first step in the judicial process for a traffic violation will be an arraignment. When you appear for an arraignment you will be shown a short video of your rights. After the video, you will be advised of the charge(s) brought against you. You may enter a plea of guilty, not guilty or no contest at this time.

You may request that an attorney be appointed to represent you. An attorney will only be appointed if you cannot afford one, and you are charged with an offense which carries the possibility of a jail sentence. If you believe you will qualify for a court appointed attorney, you must ask the clerk or bailiff for an Affidavit of Indigency. Fill the affidavit out and have it ready for when your case is called.

If you plead not guilty, your case will be set for a pretrial conference or a trial. If you plead guilty or no contest, you have the right to be sentenced in not less than two days and not more than 45 days. You may waive your waiting period and request to be sentenced at the time of the arraignment.

At a pretrial conference, you will have the opportunity to discuss your case with the prosecutor. The prosecutor may offer to reduce a charge in exchange for your guilty or no contest plea. The prosecutor is not obligated to offer a reduced charge. If you and the prosecutor are unable to resolve your case at pretrial, your case will be set for a trial.

In a trial, the Court will hear the evidence presented by both sides, then decide whether you are guilty or not guilty. Since the prosecution has the burden of proof to prove their case beyond a reasonable doubt, they have the first opportunity to speak to the court. This is called an opening statement. After the prosecution has made its opening statement, the defense has the option to make their opening statement or wait until the beginning of their turn to present evidence and witnesses.

The opening statement is an opportunity to briefly describe the types of evidence and what you hope the evidence will show to the Court. Neither side is required to make an opening statement.

After the opening statements, the prosecution presents its case. The prosecutor will offer evidence to prove that a crime was committed and that you committed the crime. You will be given an opportunity to cross examine the City's witnesses. After the prosecution is done you will have the opportunity to present your side of the story.  Your witness may be cross examined by the City's prosecutor. Either side may present testimony by witnesses or submit documents, subject to the Utah Rules of Evidence and the Utah Rules of Criminal Procedure. Affidavits from persons not appearing at the trial are not allowed.

After you finish presenting your side of the story, then both sides will have the opportunity to rebut the other side. This is done by presenting additional testimony or evidence. Again, the prosecutor goes first, then you will have a chance to speak. After each side is done, closing arguments are made.

During closing arguments, each side will have the opportunity to tell the Court why they are right. The prosecution gets to speak first, then you will get to argue your case, followed by a final argument by the prosecution. The case is then submitted to the Court for determination as to guilt. If you are found not guilty, then you are free to go and proceedings will end.

If you are found guilty, then you have the right to be sentenced in not less than two days and not more than forty-five days. In most cases, you may waive this right and be sentenced immediately. It is important that you follow the instructions given to you as your failure to comply with the Court’s order may result in a warrant being issued for your arrest.

If you decide to appeal the guilty finding, you must file in writing a Notice of Appeal within 28 days of the date you are sentenced. There is no cost to file the Notice of Appeal. The case will be transferred to the West Jordan District Court where you must appear on the date sent by the West Jordan District to the address given to the Riverton Justice Court.
Subscribe to
Email Notifications
Sign Up for
Text Message Alerts
Download the
Riverton Connect App