Riverton City is committed to protecting the privacy of those accessing its website and mobile app, as well as those who receive digital communications from the city. This policy describes how information collected from website and mobile app users is collected and used.
Section 1: Website and App User Information
Those visiting Riverton City’s website, rivertonutah.gov, automatically transmit specific information via their web connection to the city’s website analytics platform. The collection of this information is an industry standard. Information includes, but may not be limited to:
- Date & Time of Visit
- Duration of Visit
- IP Address & Domain
- Operating System
- Referring Website (the website you visited before visiting Riverton City’s website, such as Google.com or a social media platform)
- Web Browser
- Webpages Viewed
Those using Riverton City’s mobile app, Riverton Connect, automatically transmit specific information once the app is downloaded to the city’s analytics platform. The collection of this information is an industry standard. Information includes, but may not be limited to:
- Date & Time of Download
- Device Type (Apple, Android, etc.)
- App Pages Viewed
The information is used by Riverton City to improve web content, services and accessibility. None of the information collected identifies users individually, giving users an important level of privacy. Information may be subject to disclosure by applicable city, state or federal law.
Section 2: Collection of Voluntary User Information
The Riverton City website and mobile app do not collect personal information unless users voluntarily provide specific information through an application, online form, sign-up form, survey, etc. Often, this information is required if the user would like to access a specific service or to participate in a specific program or event. Riverton City uses several third-party platforms, where this information may be stored (e.g., Xpress Bill Pay for online utility payments), in order to provide various services.
Riverton City reserves the right to communicate with all individuals who voluntarily provide their information on the city website or mobile app. This includes communicating via email, text message, phone call, and standard mail for any reason.
Voluntary user information is kept confidential unless subject to disclosure by applicable city, state or federal law.
Section 3: Mobile App Functionality
Optimal use of the Riverton Connect mobile app requires that users grant several permissions once the app is downloaded. Descriptions of these permissions, and why they help the functionality of the mobile app, are included below:
- Location: The location permission is important so that if you ever use the “Report a Problem” feature on the mobile app, the app will pull up your location automatically. Push notifications may also be sent to users based on their specific location.
- Camera: The camera permission is only relevant when using the “Report a Problem” feature on the mobile app. This feature allows you to take photos of the problem you are reporting and upload them with your report.
- Push Notifications: The push notification permission is useful if you would like to receive notifications on the app when Riverton City sends an update we believe you should be aware of.
- Calendar: The calendar permission is useful if you would like to add items from the app calendar listing to your personal calendar.
- Files: The file permission is useful if you would like to upload photos when using the “Report a Problem” feature.
- Phone: The phone permission is useful if you would like to call a phone number shown on the app.
Section 4: Cookies
Section 5: Email and Text Communications
Riverton City offers website and mobile app users the opportunity to sign up for email and text message notifications. Those who opt-in can expect to normally receive 3-4 emails and text messages per month from Riverton City. Additionally, Riverton City reserves the right to communicate with customers or other users who voluntarily provide their contact information to the city at any time and for any reason. Voluntary user information collected is kept confidential unless subject to disclosure by applicable city, state or federal law.
Riverton City will routinely use email addresses or phone numbers to show content to users of social media platforms, such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter or LinkedIn when matched (by the social media platform) to a specific user profile on those platforms, dependent on the functionality of the social media platform. This is also a common practice and marketing industry standard. For example, if a user’s email address is email@example.com, and that email address is connected to a Facebook profile, Riverton City may choose to show advertising messages to that specific user on Facebook using an ad targeting feature offered by Facebook.
Section 5: Information Retention
Information collected through the Riverton City website or mobile app will be retained pursuant to all applicable city, state or federal law.