National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) Design Requirements

The purpose of joining the NFIP program are the following:
1. Qualify for federal disaster money available NFIP member communities who are compliant with the program.
2. Provides a mechanism and tools to prevent new development from being built in a floodplain and these same developments from shifting the floodplain to property not formerly in the flood hazard area.  It regulates buildings allowed in the floodplain to reside safety and again not cause floodplain shifts that can impact adjacent properties.
3. Provides a flood risk rating system to equitably determine insurance rates based on the persons chosen or situation of flood risk.

15.45    Flood Damage Prevention Ordinance

Flood Emergency FAQ
1.  Should I contract with disaster relief contractors and will the City pay for it?  These contactors can be very helpful during a crisis but there is no garantee that the City or FEMA will cover the cost.  
2.  Will the City pick up the damaged material I need to remove from my home?  No program exist for every flood event.  Public disposal pick up and dumpsters will be determine by City officials on a case by case basis.
3.  How do I file a damage claim with the City?  Contact the Stormwater Division 801-208-3152

Properties that encroach or are in designated Special Flood Hazard Areas (SFHA) indicated by the Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM) Zones A, AE, A1-A30, AH and AO who plan to develop or fill a property designated as SFHAs are obligated to NFIP regulations and must file a Floodplain Development Permit Application.

Generally, this means the NFIP applies to property owners who plan to build structures, place fill, even place non-fixed structures into any part of a SFHA.

This page is intended to provide overall instruction but does not replace the specific requirements of ordinance and NFIP requirements.

FEMA Floodplain Development Permit Application

Projects encroaching into non-FIRM floodways must file for a Floodway Encroachment Permit.
Flood Control Encroachment Permit Application

Property owners who are occupying or developing in SFHA’s could be involved in one or more of the following three documents.  These documents may be used to remove your property from the SFHA or reduce the flood hazard potential affecting your property.  In each case, encroachments are not allowed to shift the SFHA to properties not previously in the SHFA or increase the flood risk to properties already in a SFHA.
  1. Letter of Map Amendment (LOMA)>>eLOMA  Generally used for existing properties where lowest adjacent grade at buildings are anticipated to be higher than the base flood elevation.
  2. Letter of Map Revision Based on Fill (LOMR-F) >>Technical Bulletin LOMR-F tb1001  Generally used for properties where grading or fill is proposed to elevate the building lowest adjacent grade above the base flood elevation and where the grading or fill will not result in adjacent impacts.
Subscribe to
Email Notifications
Sign Up for
Text Message Alerts
Download the
Riverton Connect App