Riverton City has identified nine locations of historical significance to educate local residents about the city’s past. Residents and neighbors are encouraged to visit these locations and read the on-site historical information to learn about their place in Riverton's history.
Limited Edition Historic Preservation Commission Coins
For a limited time, visit and take a photo at each location to receive a commemorative Riverton City Historic Preservation Commission coin! Collect your coin at Riverton City Hall.
Click the button below for a map of all the stops on the tour.
Historic Riverton Tour Map
Stops on the Tour
Dome Church Foundation Stone Historic Marker
1728 Park Ave, Riverton, Utah 84065 | MAP IT
The large granite stone benches found outside of Jim's Restaurant were made from the original foundation stones of Riverton's Dome Church. The church stood at the Jim's Restaurant location from 1908 until 1939. The stones were hauled by wagon from the mouth of Little Cottonwood Canyon. Each bench weighs approximately 2,500 pounds!
Old Town Riverton Historic Marker
12722 S 1700 W , Riverton, Utah 84065 | MAP IT
This historic marker is placed approximately where the Page-Hansen Company Store stood for 110 years. Established in 1891, the store carried a large stock of groceries, clothing, shoes and lumber. The business was regarded, at its peak, as the largest retail department store in the valley outside of Salt Lake City. School houses, the Dome Church, Bate's Corner, the Riverton Second Ward, David Bills Meats and additional commercial buildings made up the rest of what was considered to be Downtown Riverton from 1891-1939.
Riverton Train Station Historic Marker
1926 W 12600 S, Riverton, Utah 84065 | MAP IT
As early as 1906, Salt Lake County business leaders discussed the creation of an interurban railway. Construction began in 1912 and ran from Salt Lake City to Provo by 1913, and from Salt Lake City to Payson in 1916. The trains ran until 1946.
Tithing Hill Granary Historic Marker
1175 W 12400 S, Riverton, Utah 84065 | MAP IT
In 1886, a "Tithing Yard" was established. Faithful members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints brought their tithed increase in produce, livestock, poultry, grains and other farm products to this collection site. The Tithing Yard discontinued operation in 1913.
Jordan River Bridge Historic Marker
12400 River Vista Drive, Riverton, Utah 84065 | MAP IT
For over 150 years, bridges at this location crossed the Jordan River and connected the people in the south end of the Salt Lake Valley. The first bridge was built in 1865 and connected Draperville and Fort Herriman through Gardnersville (later named Riverton).
Dome Church Historic Marker
1452 W 12600 S, Riverton, Utah 84065 | MAP IT
Construction began on the meeting house for the first Riverton Ward of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 1899. The building was completed and dedicated on December 20, 1920. With its high dome, it was an inspiring edifice and could be seen for long distances. Though today's Old Dome Meeting Hall was designed to appear similar to the Dome Church, the church was located closer to Riverton City Hall. Historic photos of the church can be found in Riverton City Hall. Artifacts from the church are housed at the Old Dome Meeting Hall.
Riverton Veterans Monument
1540 W 13200 S, Riverton, Utah 84065 | MAP IT
The Riverton Veterans Monument located in the Riverton City Cemetery honors the brave men and women buried there who once defended our freedoms. The names of each veteran, dating back to 1896, are engraved on the monument.
The Richards Farm Monument
13000 S 2700 W, Riverton, Utah 84065 | MAP IT
This monument recognizes Preston Doremus Richards and his wife Barbara Maughan Howell for a land donation the Richards family made to Riverton City. Though this monument is located at Centennial Park, the donated land is at present day Riverton City Park.
Riverton City Hall Historic Marker
12830 S Redwood Road, Riverton, Utah 84065 | MAP IT
The Riverton City Hall building was constructed in 1925 and served as a public school until 1995. Throughout the 1930's and during World War II, church services, weddings, receptions and funerals were also held in the school. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.