Water Connections & Inspections
See RCC 13.10.350 – Each connection to the secondary water system (pressurized irrigation) must be inspected for cross connections as per the Plumbing Code and by the Water Department. There are three options for an approved separation between culinary and secondary water.
- The first of three choices is direct use of secondary water only. The culinary stop and waste valve must be removed. If inside, then the shut off must be removed, the pipe cut flush with the wall and the outside line capped. Please note that all hose outlets must have anti-siphon valves installed and will be part of the Riverton City inspection.
- The second of three choices is a dual system with Culinary and Secondary water. This will require a Reduced Pressure Zone (RPZ) backflow assembly installed at the culinary connection. Also a swing joint must be installed that will only allow culinary or only secondary water to be used one at a time, never both systems at the same time. The backflow assembly must be tested upon installation and annually thereafter. The test report is to be forwarded to Riverton City Water Department. (The Stop and Waste valve is not allowed in the park strip!)
- The third choice is a culinary water only system. You will need a Reduced Pressure Zone (RPZ) backflow assembly installed at the culinary connection, and before any sprinkler valves. The Backflow Assembly must be tested upon installation and annually thereafter. (The Stop and Waste valve is not allowed in the park strip!)
See RCC 13.10.170 – It shall be unlawful for any person to place, cause to be placed, or introduce into the Riverton City Secondary Water System or any source of water supplying said system any matter, substance, chemical or compound without authorization from the Riverton City Water Director.
This effort is to protect the drinking water from contamination or pollution and is required by the Plumbing Code, including Amendments and the State Drinking Water Rule, as well as Riverton City Ordinances. Violations must be corrected.
- Commercially Available Backflow Technicians
- Cross Connection Basic Information
- Utah Cross Connection Control Program
- Culinary & Secondary Connection Standards